[Leish-l] Fwd: hot spots

McMahon-Pratt, Diane diane.mcmahon-pratt at yale.edu
Thu Apr 4 23:08:59 BRT 2013

The real problem here is that people fail to characterize their organisms (axenic amastigotes). Some indeed are shocked promastigotes - others grow in culture and are amastigote-like (close approximations and in many characteristics identical).  Deflagellation does not mean amastigote. I have long felt people are sloppy in their characterization and hence we have a field where the "axenic amastigotes" connotation has variable meanings. I think this should be changed. I would not eschew the use of axenic amastigotes for the failure of some. We all need to carefully characterize there and use them accordingly.