[leish-l] Mitosis in Leishmania 3-23-04

K.P. Chang changk at mail.finchcms.edu
Tue Mar 23 23:17:12 BRT 2004

I have no publication records on Leishmania mitosis, but have observed this
event on numerous occasions for other studies by microscopy. Flagella,
flagellar pockets and kinetoplasts do seem to divide first, but I can't say if
there is any particular order for these three structures. One flagellum is
always shorter than the other. Nuclear division follows without dissolution of
nuclear envelope. Electron microscopy revealed chromatin condensation and the
presence of mitotic microtubles. Rarely, one finds anucleated or akinetoplastic
cells, which presumably result from mitotic errors or abnormality and are
thought to be non-viable.

KP Chang