[leish-l] Mitosis in Leishmania

genpara genpara at univ-montp1.fr
Tue Mar 23 15:07:12 BRT 2004

Dear all,

I am interested in the progression of mitosis and cell division in
Leishmania and I cannot remember where I have seen that it was not the same
as in African tryps. You know, the old querella about "kinetoplast dividing
first ? or nucleus first ?". There are loads of articles about brucei but
it sems less clear about Leishmania. Obviously, Larry (Simpson) has
analyzed the subject in details (e.g. Simpson & Kretzer 1997) and may be
able to answer. But it is often said that "division of the kinetoplast
occurs prior to nuclear division in MOST cells" : does that mean that in
some cells, it does not ? and that these cells appear as having two nuclei
and one kinetoplast ? In this case, are these cells "normal" or are they
experiencing some trouble of their division (hence might not be viable ?).
Has anybody seen enough divisions under the microscope to be sure of how it
goes ?
Unless there are detailed publications on the subject that have escaped my
attention ?
Many thanks for any info.
Best wishes

Patrick Bastien
UMR5093 CNRS/Université Montpellier I
"Biologie Moléculaire et Génome des Protozoaires Parasites"
Laboratoire de Parasitologie-Mycologie
163 Rue Auguste Broussonet
34090 Montpellier
France