[Leish-l] Confirm hits to Leishmania spp. in whole blood of mammals in the US?

joaquina joaquina at ugr.es
Fri Mar 6 09:32:36 BRT 2015

Dear Katherine,
Your approach is wrong. Leishmania DNA can be amplified by PCR and
directly sequenced from host or vector biological samples. However, you
must carefully choose a convenient PCR technique as not every of them
give the same results. Also, you should take into account the presence
of other trypanosomatid species apart from Leishmania, both in vector
and in the reservoir and it is necessary to differentiate them properly.
L. infantum is endemic in southwestern Europe but it is becoming clear
that the classic epidemiological cycle dog-sandfly-human is turning into
a network of animal species that collaborate with the dog in the
maintenance of the parasite under natural conditions. Our research in
southeastern Spain involved as reservoir, apart from the dog, the wild
rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) (please find attached the paper about
it). Our studies also support the importance of rodents such as Rattus
rattus, Apodemus sylvaticus and Mus musculus in the life cycle of L.
infantum (article in revision in Parasitology Research)
Joaquina Martin-Sanchez
Dpto Parasitologia
Fac Farmacia
Granada University