[Leish-l] Confirm hits to Leishmania spp. in whole blood of mammals in the US?

Isabel Mauricio isabel.mauricio at ihmt.unl.pt
Fri Mar 6 12:34:19 BRT 2015

Dear Katherine

If the trypanosomatids circulate in the blood of infected wildlife, then it should be possible to detect and obtain enough DNA for direct sequencing using sensitive PCR methods, such as nested-PCR, and multicopy targets, such as kDNA and ribosomal ITS/subunits.
Otherwise, it would be best to obtain samples from the organs where the most parasites are expected, such as lymph nodes, bone marrow, skin, etc.

Best regards
Isabel