[Leish-l] Induction of LST positivity by BCG vaccination

Farrokh Modabber fmodabber at dndi.org
Wed Feb 5 05:33:13 BRST 2014

Dear KP,
Both leishmanin and BCG we used were produced at Pasteur Inst, Iran.  Leishmanin is from a well characterized L. major promastigotes.  Dr Alimohammadian was in charge of leishmanin and he is cc'ed if you like to contact him.  I am sure Ali knows about it too but I thought dr Alimohammadian might tell you the specifics or send you his SOP.  There are several BCG's (Pasteur Institute Paris, Staten Institute Denmark, one from Japan, and others).  We tested several and decided on the Pasteur Institute of Iran because of its moderate reactogenicity, cost and availability).  The injection is 0.1 ml (if I remember correctly containing about 105 /ml) i.d. usually in the forearm and read between 48-72 hrs later for induration using the ball-point method.  We have also used autoclaved promastigotes(the first generation vaccine) as leishmanin and it also worked!
Hope you will get more specific info from other colleagues.
Best regards,
Farrokh