[Leish-l] S.O.S.

Kwang-Poo Chang kwangpoo.chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Tue Feb 4 16:32:54 BRST 2014

Dear Vahiden,

It is difficult to associate DAT antibody titers with LD loads determined
by PCR for kDNA and ITS-1 in patient blood samples. Antibodies are often
said to offer no protection in leishmaniasis ?

I don't know enough details to comment on both assays, especially  DAT, e.
g. the antigens used.  The PCR based on the primers used is adequate for
qualitative interpretation for the presence of Leishmania. They are
expected to exist in the phagosome-lysosome vacuolar system of macrophages,
which is expected to contain DNAse in abundance. One would not expect
persistence of any DNA too long in that site.

May I asked you some questions ?

1. Is it easy to grow promastigotes from your samples ?
2. Are your patients all new cases in the clinic ? Have you come across
patients who were diagnosed to have VL and cured many years ago ?

KP