[Leish-l] L.donovani in dogs?

Kwang-Poo Chang kwangpoo.chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Sun Jun 23 15:25:34 BRT 2013

NL Shamra reported his finding of rK39 dipstick seropositive dogs along the
satluj River Valley, India (see his publication attached for your
reference).

In Steve Reed's original article, K39 repeats of the kinesin genes were
shown to be an amastigote-specific antigen of L donvoani/infantum.

rK39 seropositivity thus implies intracellular parasitism, but cannot
result from "immunization" of animals with promastigotes via bites by
infected vectors.

Our preliminary analysis of Dr. Sharma's CL samples suggests the presence
of nagt sequences homologous to that of L infantum or L tropica or a
mixture of both.

A lot of further studies in great detail by a multidisciplinary group of
experts are absolutely  essential in this and many other unexplored endemic
sites, as mentioned.

KP