[Leish-l] L.donovani in dogs?

Mohammad Shafiul Alam shafiul at icddrb.org
Sat Jun 22 03:06:17 BRT 2013

Dear All,

I think Dr. Anuradha's observation is important. In rural Bangladesh you will find mostly stray dogs. Our vector P. argentipes although preferably zoophilic I have never seen any report on its preference to canine blood. I'm missing the link here! In India and Bangladesh it was cattle to be the preferred host of P. argentipes. During our investigation with cattle's blood we found antibody (rK39 and DAT) but did not get any parasite (PCR) (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1746-6148/7/27). However, there is a report from Nepal where L. donovani was found in cows, buffaloes and even in goats (PCR). I believe still we are far to establish an animal reservoir for VL in Indian subcontinent.

Shafiul

Mohammad Shafiul Alam
Assistant Scientist
Parasitology Research Group
ICDDR,B
68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sarani
Mohakhali, Dhaka-1212
Bangladesh
Phone: +88 02 9827001-10 ext.3482
Mobile: +88 017 11469232
Website: www.icddrb.org<http://www.icddrb.org/>

[logo]
Knowledge for Global Lifesaving Solutions