[Leish-l] L. infantum in the hindgut?

Chang, Kwang-Poo KwangPoo.Chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Sat Jun 9 15:55:36 BRT 2012

Nagt sequence analysis can easily differentiate Viannia from Leishmania.  You will find this in our publication in 2007 that has been verified by additional data generated by Carlos Muskus, Medellin.

Genes encoding protein elements for the RNAi machinery are expected to exit only in the Viannia group, but I have not looked into this by designing primers for the ease of their PCR amplification versus nagt. These genes are expected to be absent in the Leishmania subgenus, producing no PCR products.  Such negative findings however may not be as good as something positive in both groups, but different between them.

KP