[Leish-l] L. infantum in the hindgut?

Reginaldo Peçanha Brazil rpbrazil at ioc.fiocruz.br
Fri Jun 8 20:14:05 BRT 2012

Dear Carlos,
  I really think L. infantum do invade hindgut, I really do
not know how often it happens or it happens in any special situation. I think this
is not a 100% way to confirm subgenus Leishmania.
  We have no
problem in descriminate both subgenera by molecular approach.Here some
publications:

Pita Pereira, D., Alves, G.R., Souza, M.B., Brazil, R.P., Bertho, A.L.,
Figueiredo Barbosa, A., 2005. Identification of naturally
infected Lutzomyia intermdia and Lutzomyia migonei with Leishmania (Viannia)
braziliensis in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) revealed by a PCR
multiplex non-isotopic hybridisation assay. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 99,
905–913.

Saraiva, L., Andrade Filho, J.D., Silva, S.O., Andrade, A.S.R., Melo,
M.N., 2010. The molecular detection of different Leishmania species within sand flies from a

cutaneous and visceral
leishmaniasis sympatric area in Southeastern Brazil.

Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz 105,
1033–1039.

 All the best,
 Reginaldo P. Brazil

--
Pesquisador Titular
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz

Dear all,

> Dr. Ivete
Mendonça, in Teresina, Brazil, has consistently and
> systematically
been observing promastigotes xenodiagnosis performed in dogs
> in the
hindgut and rectal ampulla of Lutzomyia longipalpis. We are not sure
> if
they are really L. infantum or Viannia. Does anybody has observed the

same thing?

> By the way, any suggestions of primers to
discriminate Leishmania from