[Leish-l] paleopathology and leishmaniasis

Kelly Harkins kelly.harkins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:25:50 BRST 2012

Hello all,

I'm new to the mailing list and new to the leishmanisis community. I
am a doctoral student in bioarchaeology at Arizona State University,
focusing on the evolutionary history of leishmaniasis, specifically in
the New World, with modern (next-generation sequencing) and ancient
molecular approaches, as well as archaeological approach. I am also
interested in the differential human immune response, as it seems
there is no absolute predictable association between species of
Leishmania and clinical outcome? As you all know, this parasite is
fascinating!

I have located some potential cases of leishmaniasis in human remains
that have affected the underlying bone and facial structure. But in
paleopathology, there is no standard differential diagnosis for
determining these cases, and without the clinical background and
without x-rays, I cannot fully understand the
timing/nature/pattern/variability of the potential bone destruction
that can be associated with chronic lesions, especially of the
mucucutaneous type (more likely to show up in archaeological remains).
I want other archaeologists to be able to add leishmaniasis to the
list of conditions they consider when viewing skeletons in
prehistorically endemic areas, but in my opinion, it's not quite there
yet...

So my question to the group is whether anyone knows of potential
resources I could access to develop a better differential diagnosis in
skeletal remains, for example, research groups with collections of
radiographs from patients? clinics in endemic areas that would allow
me to visit? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Kelly Harkins

--