[Leish-l] miltefosine for diffuse leishmaniasis

Norma Windsor Andrews andrewsn at umd.edu
Sun Jul 10 20:19:08 BRT 2011

Dear Carlos,

In my group we do not have any clinical expertise, but answering your question I attached a recent publication describing a new immunosuppressive mechanism we detected with L. amazonensis, but not L. major - the parasites induce macrophages to express CD200, a membrane ligand that locally inhibits macrophage activation and parasite killing.

Of course many factors contribute to immunosuppression during Leishmania infections, but we believe CD200 expression is one example of parasite-host signaling that may be unique to L. amazonensis. But it is important to note that CD200 does not suppress the very high levels of NO induced by interferon-gamma (this is shown in our supplementary figure S2, comparing wild type and CD200-deficient macrophages).

I wonder if you have consulted Edgar Carvalho in Bahia about this case?

Norma