[leish-l] L.major Friedlin strain

Jeffrey Jon Shaw jeffreyj at usp.br
Wed Apr 17 16:45:17 BRT 2002

Below are the details of the Friedlin strain which have been taken from
emails received from Frank Neiva (FN) and Lee Schnur (LS)

"The Friedlin strain of leishmania was isolated from lesions on the lower
legs of a patient by that name on March 27, 1980. For the next 6 to 12
months we worked with the isolate grown at different temperatures,
inoculated into Balb/c mice and in liquid media with and without blood. (FN)"

"It was isolated from a male US visitor to Kibbutz Alomg in the Jordan
Valley not far from Jericho. After his return to the US, the multiple
lesions on his leg were diagnosed as CL and his strain was isolated. The
strain was left with me in February, 1981, by Dr Franklin Neva of NIH
during a visit he paid my lab in Jerusalem. I presume the infection was
contracted in the summer of 1980 and isolated soon after that. IF SO(?),
the international code would be MHOM/IL/80/Friedlin. (LS).

The correct code for this strain is therefore MHOM/IL/1980/Friedlin.