[Leish-l] Fwd: IL10 & IL-6

Suênia Gonçalves sueniaaa at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 17:03:24 -03 2019

Dr Carlos,

L. infantum infection is strongly associated with the upregulation of Th2 cytokines, such as IL-6, IL-13 and IL-10. The polarization of T helper cells depends mainly on the cytokines and co-stimulatory signals provided by antigen-presenting cells for T cell activation. For this regulatory profile the secretion of IL-4 from APCs is determinant. Leishmania lipophosphoglycans induce regulatory cytokine profiles to promote infectivity of the parasites. The mechanisms by which L. infantum (and other species of Leishmania (Leishmania) subgenus, as L. amazonensis) controls the induction of IL-4 (leading to Th2 differentiation) are not fully understood. It is also known that the success of this regulatory induction by the parasite involves interactions between host’s genetics, dose/route of inoculation and/or sandfly saliva components, revealing countless possibilities of APC modulation. Finally, the expression of IFNg and IL-10 depends on antagonistic transcription factors on TCD4+ cells (Tbet and GATA3, respectively), thus, low amounts of IFNg are expected in high IL-10 producers (and vice versa). Indeed, it would be simplistic to explain the cytokine secretion on this binary model because there are other IL-10 and IFNg cell sources (as Tregs and TCD8+IFNg+, respectively) that are regulated independent on Th1 and Th2 transcription pathways. This should explain the simultaneous presence of icytokines and IL-10 in some situations.

Suênia da C. Gonçalves de Albuquerque
Biomédica, MSc, ScD
Laboratório de Endemias - CDZOE/LACEN-PE
Dept. de Imunologia - Instituto Aggeu Magalhães, FIOCRUZ-PE