[Leish-l] Status of PCR for CL diagnosis

Aline Fagundes aline011266 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 14:11:50 BRT 2017

Dear colleagues

Although PCR is the most sensitive technique for Leishmania detection,
there is no consensus about the better procotol for molecular diagnosis of
leishmaniasis.

Amongst the numerous possible targets to be detected (KDNA, hsp-70, G6PD,
miniexon, etc), besides the multiple protocols for detection of the
amplified product (PCR-agarose gels, PCR- ELISA, PCR RFLP, qPCR, etc), I
agree with Hugo Valdivia about the need of a robust standardization and
validation of PCR for leishmaniasis diagnosis.

Reviewing the different papers about this issue, we can easily conclude
that the best protocol for detection  (KDNA) is not  the best protocol for
identification, and the best protocol for identification is not so good for
genetic variability studies

We don't have, for example, a protocol for RNA detection, that could be
useful to discriminate active and past infections, the most used PCR
protocols for leishmaniasis are based on DNA detection, that could be
positive in the absence of clinical disease.

All the recommendations made by Dr. Aldert Bart are extremely relevant. And
I believe that, despite the constraints cited here, the reference centers
for LT diagnosis could not give up the idea of performing PCR the labs.

Best regards,

Aline Fagundes

 Dra Aline Fagundes

Laboratório de Pesquisa Clinica e  Vigilância em Leishmanioses -
LAPClin-Vigileish
Instituto Nacional de Infectologia Evandro Chagas
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz
Rio de Janeiro
Tel/fax: 00-55-21-38659541
email alternativo: aline011266 at gmail.com