[Leish-l] [Possivel Spam] Re: Confirm hits to Leishmania spp. in whole blood of mammals in the US?

Patrick Bastien patrick.bastien at univ-montp1.fr
Fri Mar 6 11:39:19 BRT 2015

Dear colleague,
It is certainly highly feasible to detect Leishmania in any mammalian
reservoir. Indeed, as compared to many other microorganisms,
Leishmania benefits from a highly repetitive DNA target termed the
'minicircle' of the kinetoplast (mitochondrial DNA). This allows an
extremely sensitive PCR detection, hence detecting very low parasitic
loads, in particular in the blood or in other organs/tissues (see Mary
et al., Lachaud et al. and many others).
In contrast, this extreme sensitivity also leads to high rates of
carry-over contaminations of the PCR which oblige to extreme
precautions in the setting up of the PCR environment and realization.
Other, less repetitive, DNA targets may be used, such as the rDNA.
They offer a more robust but clearly less sensitive detection.
See PubMed for numerous publications in dogs and humans, incl. from
the USA, using a variety of DNA targets and PCR assays.
Regards
P. Bastien

Pr Patrick Bastien
Director, Departement de Parasitologie-Mycologie
Centre National de Reference des Leishmanioses
Vice-Director, "MiVEGEC" unit research UMR5290 CNRS/224 IRD/UM1/UM2
Faculte de Medecine, Université Montpellier 1
39 Av. Charles Flahault
34295 Montpellier cedex 5

----- Message de parasito at univ-montp1.fr ---------