[Leish-l] [Possivel Spam] Re: Auricular leishmaniasis

Kwang-Poo Chang kwangpoo.chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Wed Apr 22 17:26:25 BRT 2015

I am in agreement with Dr. Bastien for the parasite sequencing approach to
differentiate recrudescence from new infection. Sequence identity however
may be inconclusive, since it may not exclude re-infection by the same
genotype in the same endemic site. It is the best, if at all possible, to
sequence DNA PCR-amplified directly from lesion parasites. Cultivation of
parasites from the lesion samples may be difficult for L brasiliensis. It
may further select for cultivable subtypes among the hetergenous
populations in the lesion.

KP

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Patrick Bastien <
patrick.bastien at univ-montp1.fr> wrote:

> [...]
> jayusp at hotmail.com>
>

>  Dear Martín
>>
>> Thank you for this valuable information.
>> I believe the Koebner phenomenon may be related to the pathogenesis of the
>> auricular lesion in my patient.
>> We detected L. braziliensis DNA (PCR) in sections from the primary lesion.
>> In the next weeks we will have the PCR results in the secondary
>> (auricular)
>> lesion.
>>
>> Kindest Regards
>> Flavio Queiroz-Telles MD, PhD
>> Hospital de Clinicas, Federal University of Parana
>> Curitiba-Brazil
>>

>> From:  Martin Sanchez <martinsanchez1 at gmail.com>
>> Date:  Tuesday7, April, 2015 at 12:54 PM
>> To:  Flavio  Queiroz Telles <queiroz.telles at uol.com.br>
>> Cc:  jeffrey shaw <jayusp at hotmail.com>, Leish-L <leish-l at lineu.icb.usp.br
>> >
>> Subject:  Re: [Leish-l] Auricular leishmaniasis
>>
>> Dear Flavio, What you describe is widely known as the Koebner phenomenon
>> and
>> ussually ocurrs long after to certain cutaneous pathologies or lesions
>> including CL lesions. They also tend to be secondary lesions with no
>> detectable parasites at least by conventional techniques but the
>> inflammatory process leading to the formation of the injury occurs
>> completely. These new lesion usually occurs after trauma (irritation burn,
>> etc) there are several references to this and cutaneous leishmaniasis.
>> Also
>> some authors might risk to infer that this could be the phenomenon in some
>> cases, that originate mucosal lesions in immune suppresed patients,  years
>> after a healed skin CL lesions  or the, or the appearance of a cutaneous
>> lesion years after having visited an endemic zone.
>>
>> Some references:
>> J R Army Med Corps 2012;158:3 225-228
>> M.D. Douba  ,et al JEAVD Volume 26, Issue 10, pages 1224?1229, October
>> 2012
>> Mulvanery et al Journal of Cutaneous Pathology Volume 36, Issue 1, pages
>> 53?60, January 2009
>>  Magill AJ.2005 Infect Dis Clin N Am 19 (2005) 241?266
>>
>> Regards
>> Martín
>>
>> Martín A. Sánchez S. PhD
>> Laboratorio de Biología Celular
>> Instituto de Biomedicina "Dr. Jacinto Convit"
>> UCV- MSDS
>> Sàn nicolas a Providencia Apdo.4043
>> Caracas 1010A Venezuela
>> Tel: +58-212-8625326/8305323
>> Fax:+58-212-8619593/8611258
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Flavio Queiroz Telles
>> <queiroz.telles at uol.com.br> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> I have a patient who presented proved cutaneous leishmaniasis 3  years
>>> ago. He
>>> was successfully treated with meglumine but after 3 years he presented a
>>> secondary auricular lesion. Biopsy did not show amastigotes but
>>> histology like
>>> leishmaniasis (no parasites). Anew meglumine course was effective.
>>> Considering
>>> L. braziliensis braziliensis is the only species identified in the state