[Leish-l] Auricular leishmaniasis

Aloísio Falqueto falqueto at npd.ufes.br
Tue Apr 7 17:36:36 BRT 2015

Dear Dr. Flavio,

In the state of Espírito Santo, Southeast Brazil, we have only L. braziliensis infecting humans and dogs. I have treated some patients who had skin ulcers few years after successful treatment of primary infection. The shortest time between the two events was three years. In my own experience as a patient, I had cutaneous leishmaniasis in1984 for the first time, which was successfully treated with Antimony and in 1995 for the second time. In both episodes parasites were identified as L. braziliensis through isoenzymes.

Sincerely Yours,

Aloísio Falqueto
Coordinator of Reference Service for Leishmaniasis in the State of Espírito Santo