[Leish-l] spleen

Carlos Costa chncosta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 09:44:37 BRT 2013

Anthony Bryceson is probably right when he suggests that a good review
(systematic?) should be undertaken on the effect of splenectomy for the
cure of kala-azar patients resistant to drug therapy.

The references bellow show that: (1) Many drug resistant patients are cured
after splenectomy, including patients with HIV infection; (b) One
previously splenectomized patient under immunosuppresive therapy acquired
kala-azar, suggesting that immunosupression is necessary for bone marrow
parasitism in the absence of spleen. (c) There is no evidence that
splenectomy without additional drug therapy is efficient.

Additionally, the comments by Sinha and Bryceson suggest that the response
of L. donovani kala-azar may be different from those with L. infantum
kala-azar.

The subject is hot and enlightening.

PS. I was unable to access and check  the paper cited by Dutra et al:
Mukhopadhyay B, Sarkar AK, Dasgupta A, Mukhopadhyay M, Chowdhury MM, Sarkar
S. Drug - resistant childhood visceral leishmaniasis. Is splenectomy a
solution? Pediatr Surg Int 1993; 8:314-315
 Results: 4
 1.
Int J STD AIDS. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#> 2012
Apr;23(4):289-90. doi: 10.1258/ijsa.2009.009234.
Successful therapeutic splenectomy in an HIV patient with relapsing visceral
leishmaniasis. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22581957>
Alon D<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Alon%20D%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Chowers M<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Chowers%20M%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>
.
Source

Infectious Diseases Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel.
dr.danny.alon at gmail.com
Abstract

A 43-year-old HIV-positive Ethiopian immigrant presented with persistent
diarrhoea, hepatosplenomegaly and pancytopaenia. Visceral leishmaniasis was
diagnosed by multiple gastrointestinal tract biopsies. Blood polymerase
chain reaction (PCR) was positive for Leishmania donovani. Despite highly
active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) and multiple courses of
antileishmanial treatments, including liposomal amphotericin and sodium
stibogluconate, the patient had multiple relapses. CD4 counts remained at
40-60 cells/µL although viral loads were undetectable. Splenectomy resulted
in resolution of the patient's pancytopaenia and in rising CD4 levels,
which enabled a long-lasting remission.
PMID:22581957 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=22581957>
Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#>

   -

2.
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#> 2012
Feb;45(1):130-1.
Splenectomy in a patient with treatment-resistant visceral leishmaniasis: a
case report. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22370845>
Dutra RA<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Dutra%20RA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Dutra LF<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Dutra%20LF%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Reis Mde O<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Reis%20Mde%20O%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Lambert RC<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Lambert%20RC%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>
.
Source

Departamento de Cirurgia Pediátrica, Santa Casa de Franca, Franca, SP.
Abstract

Visceral leishmaniasis (VL), also known as Kala-azar, is a systemic
infection caused by a protozoan (Leishmania) and, in its classic form, is a
serious illness associated with malnutrition, anemia, hepatosplenomegaly,
infectious processes and coagulopathies. The effect of splenectomy in
patients with visceral leishmaniasis is not well defined; however, it is
known that the spleen is the largest reservoir of infected cells belonging
to the reticulo endothelial system. Therefore, the surgical procedure is an
option for the debulking of parasites, providing a cure for refractory VL
and minimizing the complications of hypersplenism.
PMID:22370845 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
Related citations<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=22370845>
[image: Icon for Scientific Electronic Library
Online]<http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0037-86822012000100027&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en>
Publication Types, MeSH Terms <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#>

   -

3.
New Microbiol. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#> 2009 Apr;32(2):223-7.
Visceral leishmaniasis in a patient with common variable immunodeficiency
and evans syndrome: clinical
remarks.<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19579705>
Maio P<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Maio%20P%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Leone S<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Leone%20S%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Volpe S<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Volpe%20S%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
dell'Aquila G<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=dell%27Aquila%20G%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Giglio S<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Giglio%20S%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Magliocca M<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Magliocca%20M%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Nigro FS<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Nigro%20FS%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Pacifico P<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Pacifico%20P%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Acone N<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Acone%20N%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>
.
Source

Infectious Diseases Department, A.O.R.N. S.G. Moscati, Avellino, Italy.
patriziamaio at yahoo.it
Abstract

Visceral Leishmaniasis (VL) is a vector-borne zoonosis endemic in Southern
Italy whose usual clinical features include fever, splenomegaly,
pancytopenia and hypergammaglobulinemia. The clinical and biochemical
picture may be misleading in patients with immunodeficiency diseases
hampering the diagnosis. We describe a VL case in a patient whose spleen
had been removed and who had Common Variable Immunodeficiency and Evans
syndrome.
PMID:19579705 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
Related citations<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=19579705>
[image: Icon for Italian Society for Medical, Odontoiatric, and Clinical
Microbiology]<http://www.newmicrobiologica.org/PUB/allegati_pdf/2009/2/223.pdf>
Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#>

   -

4.
Parasitology. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed#> 2007 May;134(Pt
5):621-4. Epub 2006 Dec 11.
The role of splenectomy in HIV-infected patients with relapsing visceral
leishmaniasis. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17156583>
Troya J<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Troya%20J%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Casquero A<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Casquero%20A%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Muñiz G<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Mu%C3%B1iz%20G%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Fernández-Guerrero
ML<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Fern%C3%A1ndez-Guerrero%20ML%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>,
Górgolas M<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=G%C3%B3rgolas%20M%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22581957>
.
Source

Division of Infectious Diseases, Fundación Jiménez Díaz-UTE, Universidad
Autónoma de Madrid, Avda. de Reyes Católicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain.
jestrogar at hotmail.com
Abstract

The treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in HIV-infected patients is
characterized by having a protracted course and frequent relapses, despite
the use of adequate anti-leishmanial drugs and effective anti-retroviral
therapy. A small subset of patients with significant splenomegaly develops
severe cytopaenias and chronic leishmania infection. The use of elective
splenectomy is effective for restoring the haematological parameters and
reduces the need for blood transfusions but it does not avoid
relapsing visceral
leishmaniasis.
PMID:17156583 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=17156583>
[image: Icon for Cambridge University
Press]<http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S0031182006002058>