[Leish-l] why is Leishmania donovani restricted to humans in Indian subcontinent?

Patrick Bastien patrick.bastien at univ-montp1.fr
Fri Sep 6 10:45:46 BRT 2013

Dear Carlos
You have a gift to launch matters which can lead to endless debates
!... (smiley)
The dog can certainly not be taken as a major factor for this situation.
It is true that I do not know the feeding habits of argentipes, which
might be a good explanation.
Yet, in my view, an adaptation of the parasite to man is the most
likely explanation. It will take time to investigate this, because
just a handful of genes may be responsible for that; and it may take
many whole genome sequences to be able to identify the few
polymorphisms which might lead to this adaptation.
Best wishes
Patrick Bastien

Pr Patrick Bastien
Director, Departement de Parasitologie-Mycologie
Centre National de Reference des Leishmanioses
Vice-Director, "MiVEGEC" unit research UMR5290 CNRS/224 IRD/UM1/UM2
Faculte de Medecine, Université Montpellier 1
39 Av. Charles Flahault
34295 Montpellier cedex 5

----- Message de cbrisolamarcondes at gmail.com ---------