[Leish-l] why is Leishmania donovani restricted to humans in Indian subcontinent?

Kwang-Poo Chang kwangpoo.chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Sun Oct 20 07:47:25 BRST 2013

Dear Carlos,

One of my colleagues in Naples, Italy has used primer set for kinetoplast
minicircle conserved region, Considering ~10,000 copies of minicircvles per
Leishmania, this is probably the most sensitive PCR, although the primer
set can also amply all trypanosomes or trypanosomatid protozoa (including
Leptomonas reported to exist in the Indian kala-azar splenic aspirates).
Specificity could be an issue in that sense.

KP

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Carlos Lobo <carloshlobo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys, good night.
> I'm taking advantage of this opportunity to exchange scientific
> information, much of which I have learned to ask for help.
> I'll start a project on canine leishmaniasis in northeastern Brazil and I need
> to diagnose, by PCR, dogs infected and not infected with Leish.
> I've been doing some analysis of PCR for other experiments, but never did
> for Leish, could someone give me some tips? Like which primer to use?
> Should I collect blood or tissue samples to have more reliability?
> Thank you.
> Carlos Henrique
>

> 2013/9/23 Tamrat Abebe Zeleke <tabebezeleke at gmail.com>
>
>> Dear Carlos,
>>
>> I agree with the comment given by Phillip Lawyer. The molecular analysis
>> of strains or isolates from India, Kenya, and South Western Ethiopia also
>> supports this notion. However, the issue of distinct strains in Sudan and
>> North Ethiopia opts for the fact that East Africa may be the origin of at
>> least the naughty L. donovani strains circulating in the region.
>>
>> Tamrat Abebe
>> Addis Ababa University College of Health Sciences, School of Medicine ,
>> Department of Microbiology, Immunology & Parasitology
>> Tikur Anbessa Hospital
>> Second floor room number 76
>> Tel: +251 911 447227(mobile)
>> Email: tamrat.abebe at aau.edu.et
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Lawyer, Phillip (NIH/NIAID) [E] <
>> PhillipL at niaid.nih.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Carlos,
>>>

>>> For what it's worth, I believe it most likely happened the other way
>>> around:  Leishmania donovani was probably introduced to East Africa from
>>> India during the late 1800s when laborers were brought from India to work
>>> in the Kenya building the railroad from Mombasa to Uganda and on other
>>> infrastructure projects.  Leishmania donovani in East Africa is manifest as
>>> kala azar and is anthroponotic, the same as in India.  The main vector in
>>> Kenya is Phlebotmus martini, which tends to breed in termite mounds, often
>>> associated with human dwellings.  Other Symphlebotomus species, Ph.
>>> vansomerenae and Ph. celiae have also been implicated in L. donovani
>>> transmission.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> Phil Lawyer

>>> CV: