[Leish-l] L.donovani in dogs?

Kuhls, Katrin kuhls at th-wildau.de
Tue Jun 25 13:56:31 BRT 2013

Concerning the discussion on L. donovani found in dogs in Bangladesh I would like to contribute the following remarks:

we have found four different ITS1+ITS2 sequence types among a large set of L. donovani strains from India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. The majority of those strains of course correspond to the MON-2 group (type 1- India 1: including India, Bangladesh, Nepal), there were two very old Indian strains (MHOM/IN/1954/SC23) that had identical sequences as strains found in Kenya (typed by MLEE as MOM-38) (type 2- India 2), a strain originating from a special endemic focus in Himachal Pradesh, India (typed by MLEE as MOM-37) (type 3 - India 3) and a single very old strain from India (MHOM/IN/1961/L13) (type 4 - India 4) that  had a sequence similar to one of the L. donovani subgroups found in Sudan and Ethiopia (Sudan/Ethiopia 2) and related to the Wangije strain from China (MHOM/CN/??/Wangije1) and the mentioned canine strain from Iraq (MCAN/IQ/1981/SUKKAR2). Interestingly, strains from Sri Lanka (identified as MON-37) had identical ITS1+2 sequences as all the MON-2 strains (type - India 1). Only by MLMT these strains were separated from MON-2 (see also the attached paper on the paraphyletic nature of MON-37 - Alam et al. 2009 - there is a lot of confusion regarding this zymodeme).
The majority of those sequences were published in Kuhls et al. 2005 (attached).
The canine strain found in Bangladesh has the same sequence as all the typed MON-2 strains and MON-37 from Sri Lanka according to the accession number given by Alam et al. 2013.

In our MLMT studies we also included many strains from the Indian subcontinent in comparison with strains from Africa and L. infantum from the Mediterranean region. In the sample set there were included also two isolates of L. donovani from dogs (Sudan and Iraq) (Kuhls et al. 2007; Alam et al. 2009). Please see also the two studies were strains from Cyprus (among others one canine strain) and Sri Lanka were included (Alam et al. 2009, Gouzelou et al. 2012).
The most interesting point is that the canine strain isolated in Bangladesh most probably is belonging to the genetically extremely homogeneous group of India 1 (MON-2), that is genetically well differentiated from the L. donovani populations from Africa and of course from L. infantum or it belongs to the group of Sri Lankan strains.

Best regards,

Katrin