[Leish-l] antagonists tnf-alpha and kala-azar

Michal Baniyash michalb at ekmd.huji.ac.il
Sun Dec 1 05:18:42 BRST 2013

Dear Dr. Carlos,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Based on our preliminary data using mouse models for inducible cancer, etanercept treatment works and we get lower tumor burden and improved immune status. We have also some preliminary data on leishmaniasis in mice, pointing at elevated levels of MDSCs and an immunosuppressive immune status but we did not yet try the etanerecpt treatments. Based on the studies in the literature anti-TmTNF antibodies affect better TmTNF+ cells with intracellular pathogens, while  etanercept is better in neutralising soluble TNF. These anti-TNF reagents all help but at different pathways; etanercept will neutralise efficiently soluble TNF, which we know today is a key modifier of MDSCs and thus, could have a positive impact to immune functions recovery, while anti-TNF antibodies is more effective in acting via the TmTNF that could directly affect infected cells. We can further discuss these issues.

Regards

Michal
Prof. Michal Baniyash, Ph.D
The Lautenberg Center for General and Tumor Immunology
IMRIC, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School
POB 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Tel: 972-2-6757461
Fax: 972-2-6424653
E-mail: baniyash at cc.huji.ac.il<mailto:baniyash at cc.huji.ac.il>