[Leish-l] spleen

"Fernando José Andrade Narváez" anarvaez at uady.mx
Fri Aug 30 14:33:16 BRT 2013

Dear lesihmaniacs,
I agree with all previous comments and suggestions. It is a very good
question but it is important to remark  that the spleen is an organ of the
immune system and play different roles. In a recent paper, Chin Med J
(Engl). 2013 Jun;126(12):2354-60. Splenectomy protects experimental rats
from cerebral damage after stroke due to anti-inflammatory effects.
Zhang BJ, Men XJ, Lu ZQ, Li HY, Qiu W, Hu XQ, the authors discussed
antinflammatory effects of spelenctomy. Moreover the spleen  is very
important in "humoral" antibodies-response which is increased in VL.
Another issue is to point out regarding the possibility of problems after
splenctomy described in the literature.
Best regards,
Fernando J. Andrade-Narvaez, MD, PhD
Chairman Bioethics Commission, State of Yucatan, Mexico,
Research Bioethics Committee Chairman
Head of Immunology Laboratory
Centro de Investigaciones Regionales "Dr. Hideyo Noguchi"
Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán,
Ave. Itzáes No. 490x59 CP 97000
Mérida, Yucatán, México
Tel.: 52 999 924-6412 ext. 1156