[Leish-l] Fwd: hot spots

motazedm motazedm at sums.ac.ir
Fri Apr 5 05:39:29 BRT 2013

Dear all

We had a good experience working with AM amastigotes for
drug testing. We find out that AM amastigote are a better model for drug
testing than promastigote. there were a close relation between In vivo
and In vitro when we used AM model, but there were not relation between
promastigote and in vivo experience.

Dr MH. Motazedian, PhD,

Professor of the Department of Parasitology and Mycology,

School of
Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Science, Shiraz, Iran.

On
2013-03-30 00:39, Peter Myler wrote:

> Sunil:
>
> Axenic amastigotes
(Ax) are much more than "stressed-out promastigotes". We (and others)
have shown they are very similar (although not identical) to
macrophage-derived amastigotes (Am) in terms of global mRNA and protein
expression levels. While it would obviously be better to work with Am,
it is often technically difficult due to low numbers and contamination
with macrophage RNA and protein. In addition, it is my contention that
the time taken to isolate Am from the macrophages makes them
"stressed-out amastigotes", which are less physiological relevant than
Ax. We need to approach this discussion from a position of knowledge and
data (i.e. understanding exactly which genes are expressed differently
in Am and Ax) than belief. Hopefully, we will be able to publish the
results of our RNA-seq studies comparing promastigotes, axenic
amastigotes and macrophage-derived amastigotes (without purification) in
the not too distant future.

> Peter
>
> Peter J. Myler, Ph.D.
>

> Professor
> Seattle BioMed
> 307 Westlake Ave N., Suite 500

Seattle, WA 98109-5219
> USA
> (206) 256-7332 (office)
> (206) 256-7229
(FAX)
> peter.myler at sbri.org
>
> Affiliate Professor
> Departments
of Global Health &
> Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education

University of Washington

mylerpj at u.washington.edu

> FROM: leish-l-bounces at lineu.icb.usp.br
[mailto:leish-l-bounces at lineu.icb.usp.br] ON BEHALF OF Sunil Arora

SENT: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:42 AM
> TO: Clos Joachim; Leish-L email
post
> SUBJECT: Re: [Leish-l] Fwd: hot spots
>
> I agree...axenic
amastigotes are more like stressed out promastigotes... I always prefer
working with something inside the macrophages as a model for testing
drugs or immunomodulators which I believe are closer to actual
intracellular amastigotes in the infected host

> best
>
> sunil
>

> _---------------------------------------------------------------_
>

> Dr Sunil K.Arora
> Professor
> In Charge- HIV Diagnostic and Disease
Monitoring Laboratory &
> NACO State Reference Laboratory,

_Councillor- Federation of Immunological Societies of Asia-oceania
(FIMSA)_

> _Vice President- Indian Immunology Society (IIS)_

_Secretary (Research)- The Cytometry Society of India (TCS)_

Department of Immunopathology
> PGIMER, Chandigarh-160 012
> Ph.:
0091-172-2755192 (Off)
> FAX: 0091-172-2744401, 2745078

Ph:+91-172-4666087 (Res); 9872866087 (cell)
skarora_in at yahoo.com ; skarorain at gmail.com

-------------------------

<clos at bni-hamburg.de>
<Leish-l at lineu.icb.usp.br>
> SENT: Monday, 11 March 2013 8:16 PM

SUBJECT: [Leish-l] Fwd: hot spots

>> Are axenic amastigotes a valid
model (and for what?), the first developmental step towards real
amastigotes, or just stressed-out promastigotes? Many of us use axenics
and swear by them, others are skeptical, others will accept what's
inside a macrophage, still others only want amastigotes isolated from
something with a fur. I believe we should come to some sort of common
language and interpretation. I am somewhere in the middle myself,
preferring to do things in macrophages whenever possible.

Cheers!

> Am 07.02.2013 um 20:38 schrieb Carlos Costa:
>
> What are
the most polemic issues in leishmaniasis?

> --
>
> Carlos H. N.
Costa, MD, DSc.

> Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical

(Brazilian Society of Tropical Medicine)

> President

Universidade Federal do Piauí

> Instituto de Doenças Tropicais Natan
Portella

> Rua Artur de Vasconcelos 151-Sul
>
> 64001-450
Teresina-PI

> Brazil
>
> Telephones: +55 86 3222-4377 (W),

+55 86 3221-3062 (W),

> +55 86 3237-1075 (R).
>
> Aviso: As
informações contidas nesta mensagem são CONFIDENCIAIS, protegidas pelo
sigilo legal, por direitos autorais e destinadas exclusivamente à pessoa
ou organização para a qual a mensagem foi destinada.

> Warning: This
message is meant only for the intended recipient of the transmission. It
is forbidden any unauthorized use, alteration, reproduction and
distribution. If you are not the correct recipient, please notify us
immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your system.

Joachim Clos, Dr. rer. nat.

> Senior Staff Scientist
>
> Group
Leader

> Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine

Bernhard Nocht St. 74, D-20359 Hamburg, FRG

> Phone +49 40
42818-481; Fax -512

> Skype: joachim.clos
>
> --
> _This email was
sent by icb.usp.br _ ­­

Leish-l at lineu.icb.usp.br

> --

This email was sent by icb.usp.br

> --
> _This email was sent by
icb.usp.br _ ­­

> --
> _ This email was sent by icb.usp.br _ ­­

> --

This email was sent by icb.usp.br

Links:
------