[Leish-l] paleopathology and leishmaniasis

Prof. Dr. Moazzem Hossain directordcbd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 03:20:53 BRST 2012

Dear Kelly Harkins

Thank you for your email. In Bangladesh we have hospital for
Leishmaniasis. There are highest cases of VL and PKDL in Bangladesh
and a place for conducting joint research. If you are interested to
visit please inform me . Also we shall conduct one International
conference on NTDs on 2nd & 3rd September 2012, where there will be
session for leishmaniasis. If you  or any of your colleague also like
to participate the conference and present scientific paper, please
inform me. At the same time you  can visit the Leishmaniasis hospital
for future collaboration.Please see the web <www.iacib.org>

Best wishes
Prof. Dr. Moazzem Hossain
Bangladesh

On 1/21/12, Kelly Harkins <kelly.harkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to the mailing list and new to the leishmanisis community. I
> am a doctoral student in bioarchaeology at Arizona State University,
> focusing on the evolutionary history of leishmaniasis, specifically in
> the New World, with modern (next-generation sequencing) and ancient
> molecular approaches, as well as archaeological approach. I am also
> interested in the differential human immune response, as it seems
> there is no absolute predictable association between species of
> Leishmania and clinical outcome? As you all know, this parasite is
> fascinating!
>
> I have located some potential cases of leishmaniasis in human remains
> that have affected the underlying bone and facial structure. But in
> paleopathology, there is no standard differential diagnosis for
> determining these cases, and without the clinical background and
> without x-rays, I cannot fully understand the
> timing/nature/pattern/variability of the potential bone destruction
> that can be associated with chronic lesions, especially of the
> mucucutaneous type (more likely to show up in archaeological remains).
> I want other archaeologists to be able to add leishmaniasis to the
> list of conditions they consider when viewing skeletons in
> prehistorically endemic areas, but in my opinion, it's not quite there
> yet...
>
> So my question to the group is whether anyone knows of potential
> resources I could access to develop a better differential diagnosis in
> skeletal remains, for example, research groups with collections of
> radiographs from patients? clinics in endemic areas that would allow
> me to visit? Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Kelly Harkins
>
> --
> Kelly M. Harkins, PhD student
> Center for Bioarchaeological Research
> School of Human Evolution and Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ, 85281

Professor Dr. Moazzem Hossain
                              Chairman
Institute of Allergy & Clinical Immunology of Bangladesh (IACIB)
Room 4 - 5 (2nd Floor), Green Super Market, Green Road
Dhaka -1205, Bangladesh.
Phone:880-2-8115646 (O )
          880-1715038551(Mobile)
Email: directordcbd at gmail.com