[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick

Humberto Guerra humberto.guerra at upch.pe
Thu Oct 27 01:45:15 BRST 2011

Dear Jeff, dear leishmaniac friends:

I only saw Bob in two occasions, and, like everyone else, admired him... the
first time was at a meeting on control strategies for the Leishmaniases, at
IDRC headquarters in Ottawa, 1987, organized with TDR and our Institute. The
meeting was originally programmed to take place in Lima, Perú, but was moved
to Canada as a precaution because of the terrorist activities of the Shining
Path. There were many distinguished Leishmaniacs prticipating, and several
members of our Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt. Pandu
Wijeyaratne must have made it a point to compensate us from Perú for the
change of venue! Bob was very active in all the discussions, both at the
sessions, the coffee breaks, and the meals, and he certainly established
many good points.

The second time we were both at a smaller meeting on vector control,
organized by Profs. José Vicente Scorza and Elina Rojas in Mérida,
Venezuela, in 1994. Bob was very talkative, bursting with research ideas,
and always surrounded by young people... I'm positive he inspired many, many
fledgling researchers right then and there, as well as throughout his
career.

The friendly soul we have all lost contributed very much to the training of
many leishmaniacs, and all will remember him.

Most cordially,

Humberto
humberto.guerra at upch.pe