[Leish-l] inquiry

Hiro Goto hgoto at usp.br
Tue May 17 15:39:04 BRT 2011

Dear all,
In our oppinion, DAT and rK39 for those samples are not indicated
since these tests are produced for the diagnosis of visceral
leishmaniasis.
In case of tegumentary leishmaniasis, it is very appropriate the
observation of J.J. Shaw appointing species specificity of antibody
response in these cases. Titers of antibodies are in general low in
these cases therefore depending on the species, it may result
negative. We have published a review recently in Expert Rev. Anti
Infect. Ther. 8(4), 419?433 (2010), Current diagnosis and treatment of
cutaneous and mucocutaneous leishmaniasis, where we raise this point.
Hiro Goto