[Leish-l] miltefosine for diffuse leishmaniasis

Hannah Akuffo Hannah.Akuffo at sida.se
Tue Jul 12 06:55:13 BRT 2011

Dear Carlos,
As with so many things the answer is more like "both" Parasite and host. There are proponents for the host being the most relevant and others for the parasite also playing a role.

When it comes to L. aethiopica induced DCL my colleagues and I have done a series of laboratory studies that suggest that the parasite that causes DCL and that which causes LCL, induce different responses (cytokines, proliferation etc) in vitro. (example of publications Akuffo HO, Fehniger TE, Britton S. Differential recognition of Leishmania aethiopica antigens by lymphocytes from patients with local and diffuse cutaneous leishmaniasis. Evidence for antigen-induced immune suppression. J Immunol. 1988 Oct 1;141(7):2461-6. AND Akuffo H, Maasho K, Blostedt M, Hojeberg B, Britton S, Bakhiet M. Leishmania aethiopica derived from diffuse leishmaniasis patients preferentially induce mRNA for interleukin-10 while those from localized leishmaniasis patients induce interferon-gamma. J Infect Dis. 1997 Mar;175(3):737-41) Whether this is because the infecting organism is different or there are changes that occur in the parasite when they are in the host for some time, has not been studied.  However we have not been able to find genetic differences in the organisms derived from DCL versus those derived from LCL. (example of publication Schönian G, Akuffo H, Lewin S, Maasho K, Nylén S, Pratlong F, Eisenberger CL, Schnur LF, Presber W. Genetic variability within the species Leishmania aethiopica does not correlate with clinical variations of cutaneous leishmaniasis. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2000 Mar 5;106(2):239-48 ).

As we know, the low or non-existent cellular immune response in DCL is antigen specific but in a very small study we did show that the use of intra-lesional IL-2 did stimulate the local immune response and reduce the number of amstigotes (Akuffo H, Kaplan G, Kiessling R, Teklemariam S, Dietz M, McElrath J, Cohn ZA. Administration of recombinant interleukin-2 reduces the local parasite load of patients with disseminated cutaneous leishmaniasis. J Infect Dis. 1990 Apr;161(4):775-80).

I hope this information sheds some light on your question to Jennie. There is so much more to understand about DCL.
Best regards
Hannah Akuffo