[Leish-l] SPAM-LOW: Re: miltefosine for diffuse leishmaniasis

Jaime Soto jaime.soto at prodderma.com
Mon Jul 11 13:57:43 BRT 2011

Dear all,

I received some days ago a specific question regarding miltefosine use in
patients with renal impairment. I delay my answer asking to other people
because this is not an easy answer; this is the conclusion:

“Miltefosine is mildly nephrotoxic [Soto. CID 2004; 38:1266–72] in
leishmaniasis patients with normal renal function, Whether or not
miltefosine would further diminish renal function in renally-impaired
patients is not known. If renal function is already very low, however, a
further effect on renal function might not be seen.

My personal view would be to not lower dosing because of a possible adverse
effect on the kidneys, specially because, in the specific case, full dose
could mean the difference between improving and failure.

Regards from Bolivia,

Jaime soto