[Leish-l] miltefosine for diffuse leishmaniasis

Carlos Costa chncosta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:05:48 BRT 2011

Dear Hannah,

May be the genetic differences between organisms inducers/non-inducers of
diffuse disease can be as discrete as one single SNP, in such a way that
only through sequencing we would detect it. The questions is: to sequence
the whole genome or to make a bet in certain genes?

Another point is if the diffuse disease caused by L. amazonensis and L.
aethiopica have the same underlying parasite mechanisms. Again, comparative
genomics of isolates of both species can give more hints.

I agree with you that both hosts and parasites contribute to the outcome,
but modern genomics is bringing so many new secrets of Leishmania that its
role will be seen as more important soon.

Your findings are very interesting. Do you have the pdf? Please check the
recent excellent paper of Cortez et al, 2011, right in the target.

My best regards, extended to Jennie,

Carlos.