[Leish-l] Fwd: name

Dr. Dinesh Mondal din63d at icddrb.org
Wed Apr 21 00:09:12 BRT 2010

We also believe that it is impossible to separate kala-azar from visceral
leishmaniasis.  For policymaker / donor / and common audience we prefer to
keep the definition “VL”. However, for academic purpose under the umbrella
of VL we may place “kala-azar”, “calazar” and “Sudanese kala-azar/VL” to
specify “Anthroponotic VL in the Indian sub-continent”, “VL in Brazil” and
“VL in Sudan” respectively, since three conditions differ little bit from
each other in respect to etiology, mode of transmission (reservoir, vector)
and the population (particularly age group) affected.