[Leish-l] Fwd: name

Carlos Costa chncosta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 16:24:57 BRT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Bryceson <a.bryceson at doctors.net.uk>
Date: 2010/4/7
Subject: Re: [Leish-l] name
To: Carlos Costa <chncosta at gmail.com>

Visceral leishmaniasis is the term used internationally

Kala-azar is the traditional name for the disease on the Indian
subcontinent. Kala means black in HIndi; azar is said to mean fever in
Assamese. Some say that black refers to the change in skin colour, some that
it refers to the dreadful nature of the epidemic disease, as in the Black
Death in Europe.

PKDL still means post kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis. Mercifully no one
seems to be pushing for PVLDL

Would my Indian friends care to comment?

Best wishes

Dr Anthony Bryceson
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street
London WC1E 7HT
address for correspondence
The Bulls House
3 Rousham Road
Tackley
Kidlington
OX5 3BB
United KIngdom
Tel/Fax +44 (0) 1869 331027

On 23 Mar 2010, at 23:02, Carlos Costa wrote:

> Visceral leishmaniasis or kala-azar? Which, when, how?
>
> Carlos.
>
> --
> Carlos H. N. Costa, MD, DSc.
> Instituto de Doenças Tropicais Natan Portella
> Universidade Federal do Piauí
> Brazil
> Telephone: +55 86 3221-3413

Carlos H. N. Costa, MD, DSc.
Instituto de Doenças Tropicais Natan Portella
Universidade Federal do Piauí
Brazil
Telephone: +55 86 3221-3413

As informações contidas nesta mensagem são CONFIDENCIAIS, protegidas pelo
sigilo legal, por direitos autorais e destinadas exclusivamente à pessoa ou
organização para a qual a mensagem foi destinada.
Warning: This message is meant only for the intended recipient of the
transmission.  It is forbidden any unauthorized use, alteration,
reproduction and distribution. If you are not the correct recipient, please
notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your
system.