[leish-l] Payment of images donated to the Wellcome Trust

Jay Brturbo jshaw at brturbo.com.br
Tue Jun 7 21:12:32 BRT 2005

Dear Leish-Net Members

    I've been reading with interest the correspondence following on from
the email of Dr Lisa Leonard (who is on my team at the Wellcome Trust),
about payment for donated images. We are continuously looking to improve
the way that we work and so any feedback, even critical, is genuinely
helpful. I should make some comments by way of clarifying our position.

    The Publishing Group - International Health is a small department
within the Wellcome Trust which develops multimedia educational and
training materials for the international health community. We do this as
a heavily subsidised activity in collaboration with external
organisations (in the case of the Trypanosomatids CD which sparked this
discussion, WHO/TDR). We are not in any shape or form a commercial or
for-profit publisher, and much of our output is distributed free to users.

    Within this framework, and having finite departmental resources at
our disposal, we have to make balanced judgements about where best to
focus our resources to maximise the impact of our activities, the main
thrust of which is in developing countries. As a matter of policy we do
not make payments for use of donated materials such as images, nor do we
ask that donors sign away their copyright to us. (Allowing Wellcome to
use their images does not prevent the copyright holders from benefitting
from their material commercially through for-profit publishers, as the
donor retains the copyright). I appreciate that Drs Ashton and
Killick-Kendrick question this judgement; it is one we have not taken
lightly, and which we do revisit periodically.
    I should point out that the vast majority of our image donors are
happy to work with us to see these materials more widely distributed in
a not-for-profit educational context. We provide each donor with a
complimentary copy of the published CD. Our work would not be possible
without the generous support of the many academics over the years who
have contributed images, and we are genuinely hugely indebted to them,
as are the many users of the CDs who reap a direct tangible benefit. All
donors are fully credited on each CD, but perhaps we do not say how
grateful we are to donors often enough or loud enough.

    Researchers in the field will be aware of the investment which the
Trust has made in leishmaniasis over the years (some £20 million since
1995), and of the value of the research findings which have flowed.

    As some of Dr Killick-Kendrick's comments were made in relation to
our Medical Photographic Library, the Head of that department at the
Trust will I'm sure wish to clarify their position as well, lest Members
feel that we are not responsive to their expressed concerns.

    Tim Beanland

Dr T J Beanland
Manager, Publishing Group - International Health
The Wellcome Trust
215 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7611 8585
Fax: +44 (0)20 7611 8270
Mailto: t.beanland at wellcome.ac.uk

The Trust produces a wide range of publications, including Topics in
International Health, a CD-ROM series developed as an educational
resource in tropical medicine and international health. It is designed
for healthcare professionals, researchers, and medical and life science
students in developing and developed countries. For further information
visit www.wellcome.ac.uk/tih and to view a sample of CD-ROM content and
functionality visit www.wellcome.ac.uk/tih/sampler

The Wellcome Trust is a registered charity, no.
210183.                           Its sole Trustee is The Wellcome Trust
Limited, a company    registered in England, no. 2711000, whose
registered office is 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.