[leish-l] Comments content of new Canine VL site

Phlebotome at aol.com Phlebotome at aol.com
Thu May 29 07:09:45 BRT 2003

In einer eMail vom 29.05.03 01:35:31 (MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerzeit schreibt
jshaw at brturbo.com:

Dear Jeffrey Shaw,

> However I would just like to draw attention to its treatment section which
> is in my opinion misleading because it superficially implies that it is
> successful.  This is corrected in the FAQ number 4 "What treatments can be offered
> to dogs with CanL? How long does treatment last? Is it expensive?"  which
> gives a more realistic appraisal of treatment.

I like your comment, and agree with it.

Via my local canine-leishmaniasis-page (www.leishmaniose.de or
www.phlebotomus.com - in german language only), I had the last year (2002) 84 imported dogs
under therapy. Therapy was done with allopurinol and/or glucantime or
allopurinol and Oleyl-PC (not miltefosine - but a derivate of it). A follow-up study
is difficult, in most of the cases a symptomatic cure seems to have taken place
more or less rapidly, but parasites or antibody-titers are mainly still
present. And Germany is not (seems to be not jet) an endemic leishmaniasis country.

With the beginning of this year (2003) I changed the therapy-method and use
now cristalline or liposomale Amphotericine B (AmB) (in combination with
allopurinol and ketoconazole/itraconazole). Clinical therapy success appears much
quicker in dogs than before (Allopuronol or Glucantime), parasite status -after
treatment- remains unclear - time will tell. There should not be a resistance
problem using AmB.

To answer the questions: How long does treatment last? Is it expensive?

An AmB treatment lasts 3 to 4 weeks and is more expensive than a Glucantime -
therapy - trial ... for Germany and for a dog of 20 kilogram of weight about
500 - 1000 Euro using cristalline AmB, 1000 - 2000 Euro using liposomale AmB
(both including all Vet's costs and the supervising of kidney-function during
therapy).

Just to mention:

Another page under construction ... reflecting to nearly all imported (into
Germany) diseases, should/will be availiable bilingual (german/english) until
the end of this year is (www.parasitus.com).

Sincerely yours,

Torsten