Dr.Mehdi Mohebali [leish-l] Iranian isolates 5-14-03

K.P. Chang changk at mail.finchcms.edu
Wed May 14 12:54:55 BRT 2003

Dear Dr. Mohebali,

I am glad to receive your message, indicating that your plan to send us some
Iranian Leishmania DNA for nagt analysis. Please do include all the information
for the sources of the samples, such as the disease, human or animal, place and
year of isolation, previous typing info, culture media used, etc. Also, provide
the DNA concentrations, if known.

I take the liberty of forwarding a copy of this message to Dr. Sami Rafati. I
have not been in touch with her since 1997, but noted her good work on
experimental immunology of leishmaniasis and L major cysteine protease vaccines
from a Pubmed search for her publications (and also her e-mail address).

The nagt sequences of L major and L tropica Dr. Rafati sent to us are identical
to those in the areas, i. e. Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Uzbekistan, Isreal, Greece,
Afganistan, Turkey and/or S Arabia. However, there are nagt variants of these
two species in the last two countries as well as in Namibia. The sole visceral
isolate, IR88, was sent to us by Professor Edrissian (?). The sample did not
work out technically. The nagt sequences of visceral isolates are interesting.
It is identical for the representatives of L infantum throughout the
Mediterranean basin, in China and L chagasi in Brazil (as expected). Visceral
isolates from Sudan and India have 2 and 4 base substitutions from L infantum,
respectively. Additional visceral isolates from Turkey and China have nagt
sequences, which are very different from L infantum/donovani and unexpectedly
more similar to the cutaneous species. The significance of all these cannot be
known without additional samples for study.

Some information or work in progress are given above just to let you know the
reason why we are interested in nagt from different places. We have other
academic interests in the sequence heterogeneity of this gene as well.

Looking forward to receiving your DNA samples of Iranian isolates.

Sincerely,

KP Chang
Dept Microbiology/Immunology
Univ Health Sci/Chicago Med School