Database of Sand Flies in Colony

COL Phillip Lawyer plawyer at mxa.usuhs.mil
Mon Mar 12 11:03:22 BRT 2001

Dear Colleagues,

As some of you know, I am constructing a comprehensive database of sand
flies in colony throughout the world.  So far the response has been very
good and I now have 56 colonies of 27 species registered in the database.
Many thanks to those who have contributed so far.  Now I would like to
broaden the search for other existing colonies, particularly those in
Europe.  If my memory serves me correctly, there was an address list (e-mail
list) generated at the ISOPS III in Montpelier of all attendees.  If any of
you can help me obtain a copy of that list it will be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure Micheli Maroli knows of some colonies in Italy, but I don't have
his e-mail address either.  Do you?

I ask for your help in disseminating this request for information about
existing sand fly colonies?  If you know of other workers who have colonies,
please forward this message to them or send me their e-mail or mailing
addresses and I will contact them directly.

The essential elements of information needed on each colony are:

1.  Name of Laboratory
2.  Investigator Name(s)
3.  Complete mailing address(es) of investigator(s)
4.  Phone number (include country and city codes)
5.  Fax number (include country and city codes)
6.  E-mail address(es) of investigator(s)
7.  Species in colony (list all strains of each species in colony)
8.  Site of origin (for each species and strain)
9.  Approximate number of generations in colony
10.  Larval diet used
11.  Adult diet used (human, hamster, rabbit, membrane, etc.;type of sugar
meal)
12.  Rearing temperature and relative humidity
13.  Light Dark Cycle (12light/12dark; 16 light/8 dark)
14.  Associated references (publications about the colony or publications
resulting from experiments conducted using colony material)

This database is intended to be a resource for all sand fly workers and will
be made available on the web.  It will be updated from time to time as more
information is received.

Thank you sincerely,

Phillip G. Lawyer, Ph.D.
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD 20814, USA

Phone: (301) 295-3735
Fax: (301) 295-3860