Kinetoplastids journal

Parasitologie genpara at zeus.sc.univ-montp1.fr
Thu Feb 15 16:44:53 BRST 2001

Dear colleagues,

Although I praise your enthusiasm and energy for wishing to create a new
journal on micro-organisms we all cherish (?!), I sincerely do not feel the
need for such a journal. We have lots of choice for publishing in
Parasitology journals already. The point of a purely electronic version is
not relevant (to me).

Best wishes

Patrick Bastien

At 16:22 13/02/2001 -0200, you wrote:
>Dear colleague,
>
>	As we embark into the 21st century,  the advent of the internet has
>already dramatically changed and will continue to impact on the way
>science is communicated. Traditional hard-copy publication is associated
>with a number of drawbacks, foremost among which are long turn-around
>times, high cost and limited accessibility world-wide. While modern
>publishers have begun to make journals available over the internet
>subscription rates can still be prohibitive, particularly in the field of
>tropical medicine where research in developing nations is often on a
>shoestring budget.
>
>	A century ago, research began to find cures and prophylactics for
>kinetoplastid disease. Today, these pathogens are as prevalent as ever -
>this is in spite of the large and increasing body of scientific knowledge
>detailing the biology of these pathogens and that of their hosts and
>vectors. We are proposing to dedicate an electronic publication
>"KINETOPLASTIDS ONLINE" to the pipeline between research and
>clinical/field applications. With an aim to increasing dialogue between
>the scientists and epidemiologists of academe and those faced with the
>reality of public health planning and execution in the field. We are
>proposing that KO would accept basic sciences,  epidemiologic, public
>health and clinical papers on trypanosomiasis and leishmaniasis and which
>meet the criteria of peer review.
>
>	We propose the following pre-requisites for the publication of KO
>
>1) Peer review
>2) Free universal access by internet.
>3) Permanent archiving and access from a central website
>4) Online referral from major scientific databases such as PubMed
>
>	We predict that a journal of this nature should be able to expedite
>publication so that  papers can be submitted initially and in revised form
>online and the time frame from receipt to publication of letters and
>articles could be days or weeks.
>
>	We are contacting you as proactive researchers in this field to
>ask for your opinions and your help. We would like to know if you consider
>that there is a need for a publication of this nature. If you do, then we
>would further ask whether you would be prepared to lend written support to
>such a project.
>
>	Please contact us (using our personal email address) with any
>thoughts or comments (even negative ones) in regard to this project since
>there is little point in persuing a project of this kind unless the field
>it serves is generally enthusiastic.
>
>	With regards and best wishes,
>
>	Yours sincerely,
>
>Alberto M. R. Davila (davila at gene.dbbm.fiocruz.br) and
>Kevin Tyler (k-tyler at northwestern.edu).

CNRS UMR5093 "Génome des Protozoaires Parasites"
Laboratoire de Parasitologie-Mycologie
Faculté de Médecine
163 Rue A. Broussonet
34090 Montpellier