amphotericin

Heitor Franco de Andrade Junior hfandrad at usp.br
Mon Nov 16 10:37:46 BRST 1998

As requested, canine leishmaniasis is very difficult to treat. Most animals
dies with the infection in 6 months, despite high-dose glucantime or
association with allopurinol. Survivors presented relapses very often, more
than 80%. I had no experience with amphotericin, but I suggest that its use
will be made at higher doses, associated with Intralipid or other
commercial lipid i.v. emulsion in order to diminish toxicity.
Heitor Franco de Andrade Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
Laboratório de Protozoologia
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo
Av.Dr.E.C.Aguiar, 470
05403-000 - São Paulo - SP
BRAZIL