Treating pregnant women

Cynjaffe at aol.com Cynjaffe at aol.com
Sat May 24 21:21:50 BRT 1997

This is a timely issue as I have a patient in early pregnancy recently
diagnosed. I have found several references to treatment on Medline. The first
is an article from the journal "Infection" dated 1995 May-June 23:3, 182-3
which is a case study of a woman given meglumine antimoniate at a daily dose
of 850 mg. of antimony for 20 days. She delivered at term and the baby
remained in good condition at 18 months of age. This was in the second
trimester. Then I found an article entitled, "Mutagenicity, carcinogenicity
and teratogenicity of antimony compounds.", which downplays the dangers of
using these drugs in pregnancy. The source is Mutat Res, 1996 Oct. 366:1, 1-8
I also found an old discussion on this topic in these archives and they
mention a paper by Gradoni et al :"Mediterranean VL in Pregnancy in Scand J
Infec Dis 1994:26 (page numbers?) about two women treated during pregnancy
who both did fine. Please post any info you find.