L.infantum?

Vicente Larraga ciblr1a at cc.csic.es
Wed Jun 18 13:42:45 BRT 1997

We report a case of a pregnant woman infected with a parasite that caused
abortion. Histological studies revealed protozoan parasites in placenta
and in fetal rests, we can determine thad was a Kinetoplastida by light
and electron microscopy. In order to ensure this point we have extracted
the total DNA from paraffin embedded tissue and we have obtained by PCR
the minicircle DNA sequence. When we compare this sequence with the sequences
in the GenBank data base the best score was obtained with L.infantum
(50%). My question is: We can establish that the infection was due to
Leishmania infantum?

Thank you very much