FWD: TDR WorkPlan96: I-CHEM

Patricia de Oliveira patricia at bdt.org.br
Thu Mar 21 10:32:28 BRT 1996

--- Forwarded mail from hatak at who.ch
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 17:57:31 CET
From: hatak at who.ch
To: TDR-Scientists at who.ch
Subject: TDR WorkPlan96:   I-CHEM

                         UNDP/World Bank/WHO
   Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases
                                (TDR)

                            WORKPLAN
                             of the
                STEERING COMMITTEE ON DRUGS FOR
            AFRICAN TRYPANOSOMIASIS, CHAGAS DISEASE
                       AND LEISHMANIASIS
                            (I-CHEM)

Rationale

Only a handful of drugs are available for the treatment of each of the
three diseases. Some of them were developed over half a century ago.
Besides, they are plagued by various limitations, such as acute
toxicities, low efficacies and emergence of parasite resistance. New
therapies are urgently needed in all three areas.  The kinetoplastidae,
the group to which the three parasites belong, have many intriguing
biological features which are similar and could be attractive targets
for chemotherapy.  In 1991, TDR decided to group together all activities
related to the search and development of new drugs for the three
diseases under one Steering Committee (I-CHEM) to maximize efforts and
optimize resources.  Thus, any approach to the discovery of drugs for
one disease should be evaluated for relevance to the other two diseases.

Objectives

The objectives of the programme are to discover and identify new
chemical leads against the three diseases, to exploit and optimize these
leads to the stage of identifying specific molecules with clinical
therapeutic potential and to take such molecules through the various
stages of development and clinical trials necessary to establish them as
viable drugs.

Specific objectives

To identify areas which in the short to medium term are most promising
and would lead to the development of new drugs.  The inhibition of
sterol biosynthesis, polyamine/S-adenosylmethionine/trypanothione
biosynthesis and/or function, and possibly protease inhibition were
considered as priority.

Expected Outcomes

Identification of lead compounds which would be taken through
preclinical and clinical studies to registration for the treatment of
any of the three diseases.

How to apply

Drug discovery should be the primary objective of any research proposal
submitted to I-CHEM.  Proposals should be concerned with specific types
of inhibitors, where activity in the series has been demonstrated -
preferably in vivo - or in specific systems or metabolic pathways.  It
should be shown that inhibition will have lethal consequences for the
parasite.  Due to present financial constraints, long-term projects
concerning enzymes or pathways which might ultimately have possible
therapeutic significance will not be supported during the biennium
(1996/97).  Moreover proposals, which are not concerned, wholly or in
part with chemical synthesis of potential inhibitors, should indicate
clearly where compounds for study will be obtained and what forms of
collaboration for such provision will be established.

I-CHEM is currently supporting three screening centres where compounds
can be screened and evaluated against parasites of all three diseases
using both in vitro and in vivo models.  It is expected that Principal
Investigators receiving support from I-CHEM will make use of these
facilities and submit compounds for evaluation where appropriate.
I-CHEM will collaborate with industry in combinatorial library screening
of compounds and with scientists in the supply of combinatorial targets
for these activities.

The next meeting of the Steering Committee on Drugs for African
Trypanosomiasis, Chagas Disease and Leishmaniasis, (I-CHEM) will take
place from 21-24 October 1996.  Proposals for 1996 should be submitted
by 20 August 1996.

All correspondence on Drugs for African Trypanosomiasis, Chagas Disease
and Leishmaniasis (I-CHEM) should be sent to:

                        F.A.S. KUZOE, Manager
       Steering Committee on Drugs for African Trypanosomiasis,
              Chagas Disease and Leishmaniasis, (I-CHEM)
   Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases
                      World Health Organization
                          CH-1211 Geneva 27
                             Switzerland

                     Telephone:  (41.22) 791.3867
                        FAX:  (41.22) 791.4854
                        Email: rosenstockm at who.ch

--------------- WorkPlan in List format follows -----------------------

       Steering Committee on Drugs for African Trypanosomiasis,
            Chagas Disease and Leishmaniasis (I-CHEM)
                       Workplan - 1996/97

 OBJECTIVES
                PLANNED ACTIVITIES
                                ---STATUS

 A.  Identify new chemical entities against the three diseases

                A.1 Update targets for the three parasites - support
                    priority research areas identified during
                    1994-95 biennium, polyamines, sterols
                                ---In Progress

                A.2 Identify potential compounds, biologicals and
                    research areas which could lead to new drugs against
                    the three diseases through collaborative research
                    networks and TDR-supported screening centres.
                                ---In Progress

                A.3 Acquire chemical compounds from industry and through
                    commissioned research etc. for submission to
                    TDR-supported screening centres. (TDR
                    responsibility)
                                ---In Progress

                A.4 Identify a supply of recombinant targets for
                    combinatorial screen (e.g. SAMDC, ODC, Glycolytic
                    enzymes, AGCPR, DHFR)
                                ---In Progress

 B.  Develop new therapeutics against the three diseases

                B.1 Conclude phase I/II clinical trials for the drug
                    aminosidine against visceral and mucosal
                    leishmaniasis in Peru and India and acquire
                    necessary data for registration.
                                ---IVQ95 - IVQ96
                                (4th quarter 95 - 4th quarter 96)

                B.2 Identification of oral agent and initiation of
                    trials
                                ---IQ96 - IQ97

                B.3 Further initiation of trials of oral or topical
                    agents
                                ---IQ96 - IQ98

                B.4 Pursue clinical studies with CG 40215 for
                    trypanosomiasis
                                ---IVQ95 - IVQ96

                B.5 Expedite research including all pre-clinical studies
                    such as toxicology, stability studies, presentation,
                    efficacy in animals and documentation for
                    registration on one candidate compound to meet
                    requirements for clinical trials.
                                ---IVQ96 - IVQ98

                B.6 Encourage innovative research on chemotherapy of
                    PKDL
                                ---IVQ96

(i-chem.txt)vbb19mar96

--- End of forwarded message from hatak at who.ch