Blood meals from sand flies

Climent Bordier bordier1 at iprolink.ch
Tue Mar 19 07:46:09 BRT 1996

>     Does anybody know of the existence of a kit to determine the blood
>     meal of sand flies using ELISA?
>
>     Thank you
>
>     jorge at opas.org.br

We have produced a few years ago a prototype kit for the analysis of blood
meal in phlebotominae.
The method was based on the identification of the Ig's species in the
sample. The steps were as follows:
1) Spot anti-Ig for different species on nitrocellulose.
2) Add diluted blood meal sample (previously stored dry on paper).
3) Add anti_Ig (anti-species) conjugated to peroxidase.
4) Reveal PO activity with Chloronaphthol. A positive sample shows up as a
blue dot.

As manufacturer, I found that the production of this kit was very tedious!!

Recently De Colmenares et al. (J. Med. Entomol. 32, 229-233, 1995) described
an other method which looks convenient:
1) Sensitize an ELISA plate with anti-Ig for different species.
2) Add a mixture of the blood sample and a limiting amount of biotinylated
anti-Ig.
3) Add avidine-peroxidase conjugate.
4) Add PO Substrates (TMB).
This is a competitive assay and a positive sample shows a reduced color
development.

Sincerely yours,

Clement Bordier, Bordier Affinity Products,
Biokema building, Chatanerie 2, CH-1023 Crissier, Switzerland
Phone: +4121 / 634 2845, Fax: +4121 / 635 2064. bordier1 at iprolink.ch