[Tropmed-l] Leprosy and steroids

chncosta at gmail.com chncosta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:01:52 BRT 2012

Dear fellows,
Last month I lost one more patient with leprosy due to steroid abuse for reaction self-treatment.
He developed meningitis by Cryptococcus but dyed soon after the diagnosis. Some years ago I lost a teenager also with steroid abuse for leprosy reactions who developed severe strongyloidiasis and paraplegy due to vertebral collapse caused by severe osteoporosis.
I wonder that this might a meaningful problem in the tropics. Have you also seen this? What Brazilian (or your country's) legislation determine about steroid retail sales?
Best regards,
Carlos Costa.
PS. Let's try together to enlarge Tropmed-l by forwarding our messages to other interested people or organizations?