[Leish-l] Loss of a dear friend Richard Ward

jeffreyj at usp.br jeffreyj at usp.br
Wed Oct 28 23:04:07 BRST 2015

It is with great sadness that I learned from Dave Hoole that Richard passed away yesterday morning (27th November). Richard began his sand fly journey with Ralph and myself in Belem and his keen insight into the longipalpis complex paved the way to our understanding of this tremendously important vector. His pioneer work on its colonization and artificial feeding led to the first experimental transmission of Leishmana infantum chagasi that was published in Nature. His friendship, kindness, patience and good humor will be remembered by his many friends and students.