[Leish-l] Obituary

Nancy Gore Saravia saravian at cideim.org.co
Wed May 14 13:01:46 BRT 2014

What an amazing life and example of persistence!  Dr. Convit left a large
footprint on the field of lishmaniasis and many generations of
investigators who will carry on with this noble cause.

Thank you for informing us.

Kind regards,
Nancy Gore Saravia

> I regret to inform the scientific community of the list today we buried
> our Maestro! Professor. Jacinto Convit who passed away on Monday, May 12 at
> the age of 100
>

> Professor Convit  a great medical researcher  born in Caracas Venezuelan
> in September 1913,  stood out nationally and internationally as a leader in
> studies in the field of Dermatology and Public Health , developing models
> immunization against leprosy and leishmaniasis at the end of the eighties ,
> which led him to be among the nominees for the Nobel Prize in Medicine .
>

>  Dr. Convit created in the decade of the seventies, the National Institute
> of Dermatology, current (Institute of Biomedicine  , which to date was its
> director. Added to this , among his achievements the creation of the
> network of national dermatological outpatient programs and the
> establishment of monitoring and control of diseases such as leprosy ,
> leishmaniasis, and onchocerciasis,  paracoccidioidomycosis .
>

> Author of over 200 scientific publications, , recognized nationally and
> internationally  by his immunization models of endemic diseases in the
> country, and  in recent years for development studies in cancer
> immunotherapy
>

> Jacinto Convit received numerous national and international awards , some
> of which the Sovereign Order of Malta, Knight Grade " Religionis " (1969 )
> , Armand Frappier Institute Medal Armand Frappier in Canada (1979 ) ,
> Prince of Asturias Award for Technical and Scientific Research of Spain
> (1987 ) , "Health for all by the Year 2000 " WHO - PAHO (1988 ) , " Abraham
> Horwitz for American Health " Prize for the Pan American Health and
> Education Foundation (PAHEF ), Washington Medal (1989 ) , Guy Number (
> chair No. XXXI) of the National Academy of Medicine, Venezuela (1990 ) , "
> Mexico Science and Technology " award from the Government of the United
> States of Mexico (1990) and the Legion of Honor of France ( 2011 ) .
>

> Dr Convit always be remembered for his patients, his humility, constant
> service vocation for over 75 years and her dedication to the health of
> Latin American
>

> may his soul rest in peace
>

> Martín A. Sánchez S. PhD
> Laboratorio de Biología Celular
> Instituto de Biomedicina
> UCV- MSDS
> Sàn nicolas a Providencia Apdo.4043
> Caracas 1010A Venezuela
> Tel: +58-212-8625326/8305323
> Fax:+58-212-8619593/8611258
>

> --
> * This email was sent by icb.usp.br <http://icb.usp.br> *   ­­
>
> --
> This email was sent by icb.usp.br

--

*NANCY GORE SARAVIA*
*Tel (57)(2) 5552164*
*saravian at cideim.org.co <saravian at cideim.org.co>*

*Corporación CIDEIM Carrera 125 # 19-225Cali - Colombia Tel (57) (2)
5552164Fax (57) (2) 5552638*
*www.cideim.org.co <http://www.cideim.org.co/>*