[Leish-l] RE : L.donovani in dogs?

Isabel Mauricio isabel.mauricio at ihmt.unl.pt
Wed Jun 26 12:34:09 BRT 2013

As Patrick stated, there are differences between L. infantum and L. donovani, but there are also differences (genetic, antigenic, epidemiological, clinical, vector, etc) between different endemic areas of L. donovani, which largely correspond to genetic groups, and as Katrin mentioned.
In my opinion, from analysis of the available data, L. infantum is simply another genetic group within L. donovani. This is compatible with the difficulty in separating the two "species", which is further made difficult by historical genetic recombination.

The presence and importance of canine leishmaniasis could be due to parasite genetics or to sand fly biting habits.
Many dogs in L. infantum endemic areas do not develop leishmaniasis upon infection and experimental infection not always results in disease either.
So, I wouldn't discard dogs as possible reservoirs in L. donovani endemic regions.

All the best
Isabel