[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick

naveen samuel singh naveendoris at rediffmail.com
Sat Oct 29 04:26:57 BRST 2011

Dear Dr. Jeffrey,
It seems a great loss in the family of studies on Leismaniasis specially from India that we had lost a great person in the form of BoB Killick-Kendrick on 22.10.2011, I met him for the first time at ISOPS 7, Turkey. He had a very strong personallity which had great impact on me. He was a Pioneer in the field of Phlebotominesa and will always be remembered by each investigator in this field in future also.
I pray to God for the Peace of his soul.
Sincerely
Naveen

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:09:11 +0530  wrote

Dear Dr Shaw
I am saddened to know that Dr Bob an outstanding scientist, is no longer amidst us. I still remember the enthusiasm and vigor with which he participated in WorldLeish4 here in Lucknow.

For me he was a generous mentor,
He was full of praise for the Indian kala azar history which we had tried to compile and was instrumental in advising us on the text, as well as writing the foreword. There is a picture of Dr Bob in the WL4 site inaugurating the book. He was encouraging us to extend our writing to regions where similar disease history lay forgotten and was enthusiastically planning the layout.
My condolences and deepest sympathy to Mirelle.
Sincerely
Neeloo--- On Sun, 10/23/11, jeffrey shaw  wrote:

>From: jeffrey shaw
>Subject: [Leish-l] Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick
>To: "Leish-L"
>Date: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 3:24 PM

I have the very sad task to inform everybody that last night (22/10/2011) Bob Killick-Kendrick died. Leishmaniasis has lost one of its icons and the breadth and depth of Bob�s comments on-line and at meetings based on years of experience is a terrible loss to us all. Bob�s career spanned many areas of parasitology. He worked on trypanosomiasis in Nigeria with David Godfrey and on returning to England dedicated many years to malaria, in particular rodent malaria. He travelled extensively on field projects all over the world and together with Prof Rioux was seminal in understanding the ecology of leishmaniasis in the Southern France where lived.
Jeffrey Shaw

Leish-L welcomes your comments and anecdotes on Bob�s life so please send them.

Leish-l at lineu.icb.usp.br