[Leish-l] FW: Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick

Bates, Paul p.bates at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 07:13:25 BRST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

This is very sad news. Bob was certainly a pioneer scientist in the true sense, and made key contributions to several fields that have greatly benefitted those of us following on. I have particular reason to be grateful, for when I started working with sandflies Richard Ward advised me to "go and visit Killick-Kendrick's lab". That was good advice and I spent a happy week in Ascot learning the sandfly business from him and Mireille - it was very pleasurable and highly informative, and he always remained a source of good advice. I doubt whether there is anyone working on sandflies who has not had benefitted from his input directly or indirectly. My lasting memory of him will be from the last ISOPS meeting held in Turkey earlier this year, wandering around the wonderful ruins at Ephesus and discussing science. He was as sharp as ever, but of course with impeccable good manners and a twinkle in his eye that characterised his good humour. On a lighter note, I once backed a horse called Killick at Chester races at 7-1 - and it won! (Of course I then went and lost the winnings on other horses). It will be strange not to have Bob around, but as has been commented elsewhere it is up to us to continue his tradition of good science, clear thinking and generosity of spirit.

Sincere to condolences to Mireille.

Paul Bates.

Professor Paul Bates
Associate Dean for Research
Faculty of Health and Medicine
Division of Biomedical and Life Sciences
Lancaster University
Lancaster
LA1 4YQ

Tel (direct line): 01524 593718